Re: RFC: docker for CI

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: RFC: docker for CI
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 20:22:29 +0000

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 01:21:35PM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Proposal: rather than using the patchy scripts for validating
> LilyPond, we use docker images.
Without getting into technical details, I think this is a really good
idea. Automatic building/testing saves lots of time, and having a
containerised build environment means it can be as portable as a single
dockerfile (or one for each version of guile, if that is what you were
thinking).

Kevin

P.S. I think I have seen a dockerfile for creating a build environment
for LilyPond somewhere. I wonder whether an official docker file would
be beneficial in its own right - at least for Linux users, it would
decouple the build environment from the OS packages.