Re: RFC: docker for CI

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: RFC: docker for CI
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 22:23:12 +0100

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 9:48 PM Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

> regtest
> >>>
> >> Sounds convoluted.  Why not attach the difference images directly?
> >
> > Those are potentially 1372 images to attach if you made a change with
> global impact.
>
> Why not attach the N images with the greatest differences directly?
>
> More generally, I'd want a digest of the results (not all of which are
> visual) that is as useful as possible for the size we are willing to post
> to the review.  We control output-distance.py, so we could generate
> something new that fits this case.

More work , and I'm lazy :)

but yes, you are right. We could potentially do somehting more clever here.

> >> Are full logs and test results retained, or does a developer need to
> reproduce the test locally to get them?
> >
> > You'd retain the full logs and results as part of the docker image.
> Currently my checkout is about 1.8G of data, and a lilypond docker image
> itself would be close  to that too.
>
> This approach is new to me.  I'm used to CI systems that are configured to
> archive particular files from the workspace (e.g., the regtest output tree,
> the final docs) and full build log for a limited time (days to weeks).  I
> think it balances the types of things you can investigate without
> reproducing the build yourself against retaining a huge amount of data.

IIRC, the regtest output tree is also fairly large.

Can you expand on the purpose of saving the full Docker image--which is not
> just the LilyPond workspace but the OS too, correct?  Are you thinking that
> someone would prefer to download it and debug in a container rather than
> reproduce the build in their usual development environment?

You would save the output of the binary build, because it's the input to
the regtest.

The OS would be in a different layer, so we wouldn't shipping around OS
images, but my hunch is that it will be a lot of data to ship around. I
haven't measured though.