Re: RFC: docker for CI

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: RFC: docker for CI
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 19:21:21 +0100

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 9:48 PM Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

> regtest
> >>>
> >> Sounds convoluted.  Why not attach the difference images directly?
> >
> > Those are potentially 1372 images to attach if you made a change with
> global impact.
>
> Why not attach the N images with the greatest differences directly?
>
> More generally, I'd want a digest of the results (not all of which are
> visual) that is as useful as possible for the size we are willing to post
> to the review.  We control output-distance.py, so we could generate
> something new that fits this case.

come to think of it, most of the automated infrastructure (eg. travis,
Google cloud build etc.) operates in terms of builds in containers, and
when something happens, you get the final log file as diagnostic output.
The process in the container doesn't have access to a credential, so it
cannot post anything to Github/gerrit/gitlab/etc.

So it's best if we can make the whole process give diagnostics as ASCII
build logs.