Re: Staging broken.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Staging broken.
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 20:52:35 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Hello and sorry I am late to the table on this - been a busy week for me.
>
> On 19/02/2020 08:10, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, den 18.02.2020, 14:19 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
>>> James <
>>> address@hidden

>>> Everything?

>>> Why would you not rerun autogen/configure?
>>>
>>> The procedure for a patch would be
>>>
>>> git apply --index xxxx.diff
>>> ./autogen.sh --noconf
>>> cd build
>>> ../configure --enable-checking  # and/or other desired options
>>> make clean test-clean doc-clean
>>> CPU_COUNT=9 make -j9 # or whatever other options
>>> CPU_COUNT=9 make -j9 check
>>> CPU_COUNT=9 make -j9 doc
>> In my experience this doesn't work in all cases. I just switched back
>> from branch where I worked on the build system and here's what I get
>> (after running $ autoconf in the src directory):
>>   $ ../src/configure
>> [...]
>> configure: creating ./config.status
>> config.status: creating config.make
>> config.status: creating config.hh
>> config.status: config.hh is unchanged
>>   $ make
>>   *** /code/LilyPond/build/config.hh is out of date
>>   *** Remove it and rerun autogen:
>>           rm /code/LilyPond/build/config.hh; ./autogen.sh
>>   $ make clean
>> [...]
>>   $ make
>>   *** /code/LilyPond/build/config.hh is out of date
>>   *** Remove it and rerun autogen:
>>           rm /code/LilyPond/build/config.hh; ./autogen.sh
>

> Yes this is what I had too (not just recently) and I am sure that I
> had some conversation - although I cannot find it on the lists so it
> must have been private emails, anyway this was why I haven't been
> doing 'make check' but simply applying these 'build file' patches and
> just running the gamut of makes minus make check.
>
> If after all these emails there is a better method (at least until we
> get the automated build stuff done) I can add this into my workflow.
>
> Thanks and sorry that I didn't think to mention it before more publicly.

The simplest way is to follow the given instructions as close as makes
sense (namely, if the given directories are wrong, use the right ones,
and if you were going to run autogen.sh and configure separately and/or
from different directories, do so).

We'll likely come up soonish with something obliterating the problem (or
at least a better diagnosis) but in the mean time and/or older code,
that seems like the best bet.