Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 11:55:07 +0100

Am Samstag, den 22.02.2020, 21:18 +0100 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> This will likely explode the time it takes
> > to run it, but I think it's a good thing that patchy does it right now.
> > When considering the long time for 'make doc', I wonder if saving on ~4
> > minutes of compile is worth the complexity of ccache?
>
> The complexity is minimal, and if you are trying to fix a compile
> problem for a different platform, getting fast turnaround on a
> edit-compile-cycle is huge.
>
> If CI becomes faster and cheaper, it will be easier to have instant
> and automatic feedback on all versions of a patch.

This makes me think that we're actually looking for two distinct use
cases: As a developer I don't want to run 'make doc' for all changes.
In that case it makes sense to use ccache to have short turnaround
times, not doubting that.

But a CI should test the changes in every possible way we care about -
exactly because "this change cannot possibly break". And here I really
mean CI to be integrated into tooling and running without human
interaction, just as Patchy is right now. And if somebody needs to
build a new image every few days to have an updated ccache, that's
something that should be clearly weighted against the benefits IMO.

Does that make sense?

Jonas