Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 12:04:01 +0100

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 11:55 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:

> But a CI should test the changes in every possible way we care about -
> exactly because "this change cannot possibly break". And here I really
> mean CI to be integrated into tooling and running without human
> interaction, just as Patchy is right now. And if somebody needs to
> build a new image every few days to have an updated ccache, that's
> something that should be clearly weighted against the benefits IMO.

If you can automatically run a CI job, you could automatically run a
seeding job.

In practice, I think we would have to have a mechanism (git tags?) by
which we can annotate that a certain release changed the regtest
output. Assuming we have those often enough, that takes care of
reseeding the cache.

Note that the test baseline takes as much space as the cache, so it's
not going to make a huge difference by not having them.