Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 15:27:22 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:

> -james

>> > If I'm a tester, then I think that could be you ... :-)

>> > Much better!  I have reconfigured my system to include a docker service.
>> > Now the problem may be X or Y.
>>
>> cool. Fixed; please pull.

I found that reseed.sh fails early when lilypond is a work tree (log
attached).  After doing

(cd lilypond; git worktree move ../lilypond ../lilypond-worktree)
git clone gnu:lilypond lilypond

to use a full clone it only failed after ~half an hour (full log
attached) like so

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating config.make
config.status: creating config.hh

WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs or files:  guile

ERROR: Please install required programs:  guile-config2.2 < 1.9.0 (installed:
2.2.6) (guile-devel, guile-dev or libguile-dev package) libguile (libguile-dev,
guile-devel or guile-dev package).

See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build LilyPond
The command '/bin/sh -c ./autogen.sh && make -j$(nproc)   && make test-baseline
-j$(nproc) CPU_COUNT=$(nproc)   && make distclean   && ccache -z' returned a
non-zero code: 1
[1]15:17:06 janneke@dundal:~/src/lilypond/lilypond-ci [env]

>> >   (I'm a total docker
>> > n00b; when I learned that it needs a daemon to run, I lost interest at
>> > the time).
>>
>> docker is confusing and, in part poorly engineered, but it does
>> provide useful functionality for a number of things.

At the time my target was "run everywhere binaries"; now I won't mind
to learn a few things about what people like about it and where it can
be useful.

>> Docker has a daemon, because it is usually used for managing other
>> daemons, and you need a manager for restarting, allocating network
>> ports, etc.

Ah...are we using any of those?

Greetings,
janneke