Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: testing out Docker CI scripts?
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 15:35:02 +0100

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 3:27 PM Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I found that reseed.sh fails early when lilypond is a work tree (log
> attached).  After doing

This is because you did something, right?

> to use a full clone it only failed after ~half an hour (full log
> attached) like so

> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating config.make
> config.status: creating config.hh
>
> WARNING: Please consider installing optional programs or files:  guile
>
> ERROR: Please install required programs:  guile-config2.2 < 1.9.0 (installed:
> 2.2.6) (guile-devel, guile-dev or libguile-dev package) libguile
> (libguile-dev, guile-devel or guile-dev package).

You'll need https://codereview.appspot.com/569390043/ - I suggest to
comment out GUILE2 related stuff.

> >> docker is confusing and, in part poorly engineered, but it does
> >> provide useful functionality for a number of things.
>
> At the time my target was "run everywhere binaries"; now I won't mind
> to learn a few things about what people like about it and where it can
> be useful.

One of the nice things is that there is a whole ecosystem of
ready-made images. For example, you can create a Dockerfile starting
with

  FROM fedora:31

and get a ready made empty image for Fedora. The same for all kinds of
other tools.

> >> Docker has a daemon, because it is usually used for managing other
> >> daemons, and you need a manager for restarting, allocating network
> >> ports, etc.
>
> Ah...are we using any of those?

No, but while we are building tests, you can attach to the running container

try

 docker container list
 docker exec CONTAINER-ID du /

while the test is running.