Re: Address output-distance problems: (issue 563730043 by address@hidden

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: Address output-distance problems: (issue 563730043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 13:03:31 +0000

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 at 12:48, <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'll defer you to Jonas' reply to this thread just after yours.
>
> I'm all for conistent build envs but at least make sure your testing is
> actually ... err testing what it should be testing.
>
> Containers don't protect against that.

A docker container is the same everywhere; the underlying distribution
or other differences in people's setups don't make any difference. So
if there was an agreed dockerfile that would simplify discussions
about 'worksforme'.

Jonas's reply referred to native Ubuntu, which misses Han-Wen's point
I think. The container provides a consistent and portable environment
(providing you have docker installed, it's basically a single text
file). If we had some kind of official docker/container image/file for
these tests, then if something passes there, but not on someone's
personalised distribution then it would be on that person to figure it
out (or just use the docker container). And developers would have a
single target for testing.

Kevin