Re: Address output-distance problems: (issue 563730043 by address@hidden

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Address output-distance problems: (issue 563730043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 17:27:01 +0100

Kevin Barry <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 at 12:48, <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'll defer you to Jonas' reply to this thread just after yours.
>>
>> I'm all for conistent build envs but at least make sure your testing
>> is actually ... err testing what it should be testing.
>>
>> Containers don't protect against that.
>
> A docker container is the same everywhere; the underlying distribution
> or other differences in people's setups don't make any difference. So
> if there was an agreed dockerfile that would simplify discussions
> about 'worksforme'.

Frankly, I am more sympathetic to "worksforme" discussions among
developers than telling users "worksforme".  Where is the point in being
able to tell users that no developer will reproduce their problem?

I'd rather have an error popping up for at least some developers than
for none.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".