Re: Cairo

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Cairo
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 14:12:13 +0200

Hi Knut et al,

For those who are interested: here is an updated version of my
cairo patch.

I'm glad you're working on this — and seemingly
making fast progress!

If we kick out ghostscript the \postscript markup will die a lonely
death.
I'd retain the PostScript backend for special purposes.
+1

Sorry, I don't understand. Since Cairo supports PS
generation, why wouldn't we be better off using
that? I thought PS was mostly provided "because it
could be" since our internal workflow was generating
PDF from it.

About including images: I don't fully grasp the
context, but I want to note that from the user point
of view, support for including PNG images would
be very desirable.

One thing that will have to be sorted out is
distributing with the new dependency on Cairo.
I think GUB has a spec for it, did you test it?
How is this going to fare in Jonas' experimental
scripts?

Cheers,
Jean