Re: Cairo

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Cairo
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 22:52:26 +0200

Am Samstag, dem 26.06.2021 um 19:43 +0000 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> > No, it's definitely too soon for a merge request.  A few
> > stencils->cairo procedures need to be added, a bit of error
> > handling
> > (to prevent at least possible segfaults) is necessary, a bit of
> > logical cleanup is desirable, etc.
>
> Well, you can start the commit message of the merge request with
> 'WIP:'; this prevents execution of the CI stuff, AFAIK.

No, it doesn't. There are ways to not run CI jobs for a particular
commit, but I don't really see the point just for the sake of pushing
the current demonstrator into a merge request.

May I instead propose an incremental approach? Implementing a fully
capable Cairo backend probably won't happen in a single MR, and making
it the default will be even further down the road. I think for a first
step the Cairo stuff needs to be optional and in a proper backend, not
hacked into the current Postscript code. Then others can test, missing
features can be added over time, and it's possible to evaluate further
steps.

Jonas