Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 17:47:47 +0200

"\*" =
#(define-music-function (n mus) (index? ly:music?)
    #{ \repeat $repeat-shorthand $n { #mus } #})
Instead of debating a default repeat type and function, why not provide access
to repetition as a music function with a clear name like

     \repeatFunction type n music

And let the user decide how to abbreviate it?

     x = \repeatFunction unfold \etc

Maybe it helps to give some context: The discussion started with the problem of skipping notes in lyrics (using \addlyrics {} / \lyricsto {}) in the documentation. In order to skip multiple notes, the documentation currently suggests ugly things like

\repeat unfold 2 { \skip 1 }

that
a) are very cumbersome,
b) contain a mandatory-yet-unused duration argument.

I think b) can be remedied by using "" instead of the skip (I'm not sure yet if it's really equivalent), which leads to

\repeat unfold 2 ""

And I think it would be nice to have an even more natural variant for that; I think it's reasonable to provide & show/recommend convenient solutions for standard tasks (rather than say "you can define your own abbreviation here if you know how to do so") - for example,

\*2 ""    or    \x2 ""

which would be my favourite.

Lukas