Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:32:17 +0200

IS unfold the best candidate? Just because the OP makes extensive use of it, doesn't mean everyone else does. I'd rather it was percent, but I suspect I genuinely am a minority.

One of the reasons I argue against making \repeat $n \music equivalent to some \repeat X $n \music.

An implementation that doesn't require changes in the lexer/parser would have the advantage of allowing you to re-define it according to your needs. LilyPond is so great it even allows you to do:

\version "2.22"

repeat-shorthand = unfold

"\*" =
#(define-music-function (n mus) (index? ly:music?)
   #{ \repeat $repeat-shorthand $n { #mus } #})

{
  \*8 c'4

  #(set! repeat-shorthand "percent")
  \*8 d'4

  #(set! repeat-shorthand "tremolo")
  \*8 e'16
  e'2

  #(set! repeat-shorthand "volta")
  \*2 { f'4 e' d' c' }
}

But I expect also Jean's way of re-defining \repeat would allow for such a configurable option.

But what if more people would benefit if that tweak were applied to figured bass, rather than tablature?

Then we should find a way to make both happen (or let the user select according to their needs). :-)

Lukas