Re: Stepping down from Patch Meister role

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Stepping down from Patch Meister role
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 12:15:43 +0100

Am Samstag, dem 08.01.2022 um 10:06 +0000 schrieb James:
> Hello,
>
> I am going to stop doing the Patch countdown at the end of this month.
>
> I'll continue for the next few weeks, but my last countdown will be
> whatever the last date in January ends up being.
>
> Thanks for your understanding.

As said before off-list, thanks a lot for all the work you've been
doing. I had a look at the mailing list archives and it appears you
started doing the countdowns in February 2013, almost nine years ago.
Your contributions reach back further than that (including testing of
patches, not sure) and in any case that's an incredible time span!

This also means we need to do at least one of two things:
a) find a new person to take on the Patch Meister role and continue
doing the countdowns,
b) think about and agree on a "new" process to decide when patches can
be pushed / merged.

I personally like the countdown process for a number of reasons (as a
contributor, it's nice to have a human "on the other side", and for
reviewers it's relieving to have some amount of grace period). In the
event that we have neither a) nor b) by the end of January, I can offer
to take the role temporarily to "keep things going". That said, I'm
definitely not a good fit in the longer term because I want to stay a
developer and that conflicts both time-wise and with respect to
impartiality.

If you have thoughts on b), I'd suggest starting a new thread on the
mailing list.

Regards
Jonas