Re: Stepping down from Patch Meister role

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Stepping down from Patch Meister role
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 22:10:01 +0100

Le 22/01/2022 à 20:31, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 7:09 PM Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development <lilypond-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
Finding a non-developer to fill James's shoes sounds difficult. I
would volunteer, but I still plan to contribute patches.
git shortlog --author Lowe

should be some indication that this is not a conflict of interest as
such.  It may end up a conflict of resources.
Yes, my initial message wasn't entirely clear, it's of course possible
to contribute patches while being "Patch Meister". The "impartiality"
aspect is that you should try to apply the same standards to your own
submissions as to all other patches.

So, there's around one week left until the end of January and this
thread has more or less died down, thus last call for volunteers.
One thought: maybe we could rotate the patch meister between different
volunteers? That would also help with the impartiality: if one is this
week's patch meister, you could simply leave your own MRs alone.

Maybe James can comment here. Without ever having
done these countdowns, my instinctive reaction is that
it might work well, but it might also mean a bit more
work at each countdown because you have to read
the threads from the start if you haven't been
following them on the previous countdown.

Personally, while I'd be ready to do the countdowns if
necessary, I'd prefer not to hold that responsibility
on the long term because I tend to be somewhat too
emotional with patches already.

Also, one advantage of the countdown is that it
enables someone without any technical experience
to advance the project, thus freeing time for
programmers. It has not been true with James
that this has allowed someone to participate
who would not have participated otherwise, given
all his valuable documentation contributions,
but there might be an opportunity to take now
for finding someone who would not be in a position
to immediately contribute in another way.

Perhaps we could ask on the user list? Not sure
how bug squad members were recruited when
that existed, but lilypond-user would appear
like the place where we have the best chances
of finding new people ready to get involved.

Jean