Re: build problems

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: build problems
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 17:24:00 +0100

Le 12/01/2022 à 10:45, Werner Arnhold a écrit :
Hi,

I used the proceeding steps as described in the contributors guide:

./autogen.sh
mkdir build
cd build
../configure

I resolved every missing fonts or packages. Then configure ran without
further complaints. Then I ran

make

There is a file under the build directory:

./python/out/__pycache__/book_base.cpython-37.pyc

so book_base seemed to be compiled. How to proceed?

Thanks
Werner

The build system does adjustments to the PYTHONPATH
variable. What does your shell script do? Check that
it adds to the path, not removing what is already
in it.

Also, probably unrelated, doing

  ./autogen.sh
  cd build
  ../configure

means that you are configuring twice,
once in the source directory, with autogen.sh,
and once in the build directory, with configure.
This might not work. Try cleaning everything
(with 'git clean -xdf' in the source directory,
use 'git clean -xdfn' to see what will be removed
before doing this), then only configuring in
the build tree:

  ./autogen.sh --noconfigure # note the --noconfigure flag
  cd build
  ../configure

Alternatively, if you prefer building
in the source tree, just do

  ./autogen.sh

Just don't mix the two methods.

One last thing: building in /usr/local is rather
unusual, it would be a better idea to build
somewhere under your home path, where you have
appropriate permissions, and do 'make install'
if you want the binary system-wide.

Hope that helps,
Jean