Re: SMuFL name mapping update, 17 March

From: Owen Lamb
Subject: Re: SMuFL name mapping update, 17 March
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:33:51 -0700

High priority issues (I'd like to get these done before I begin
integrating my GSoC work):

* A glyph should be created for SMuFL's clefChangeCombining
   character.
Really?  Why?

I was following precedent. Bravura includes it, even though it's a zero-width empty character.

As far as I understand the issue, this character is
only necessary for creating ligatures.
Yes, that's right.
If this is correct, no glyph
is needed at all.  Instead, the FontForge script should be extended to
create a proper 'GSUB' table that maps input ligatures to the
corresponding Feta glyphs.

All right! (Come to think of it, in the case of an erroneously placed clefChangeCombining character, I'd certainly prefer to see tofu or an error message rather than nothing at all, which is what we'd see if we followed Bravura's suit and added a zero-width character.) The 'GSUB' table is already planned.

* A small numeral set should be created so non-LP programs can print
   fingerings easily.
This should be easy to do.

I hope so! But we may have to fine-tune their look in the smaller fonts, which, if I were to take the job on, would require I get fairly comfortable with a METAFONT/FontForge workflow, which I don't think I'll have the time to do this spring (I'm graduating in May!). If you (or anyone else) want to handle it before summer starts, be my guest!

Owen