Re: LilyPond 2.23.8 released

From: Freeman Gilmore
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.8 released
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:30:28 -0400

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 9:04 AM Tim's Bitstream <timmcn@bitstream.net>
wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2022, at 9:32 PM, Freeman Gilmore <freeman.gilmore@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 7:58 PM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Freeman Gilmore <freeman.gilmore@gmail.com> writes:

>> 2
>> he

>> > Is there going to be a non binary version for windows coming soon?
>>
>> The source code is the same independent of operating system, so you
>> apparently don't mean "source code" when you say "non binary".  What
>> would your expectations of a "non binary version for windows" be?
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup
>>
> Ok i see it now, but this was my problem.   I know that the source code
> (binary)
> is usually the same for all but I have never worked with source code  for
> LilyPond so when I read this, "Documentation writers and testers will
> generally want to download the latest binary:" with 5 binaries listed
> below,   *Note, the colon should be a period;* and make it look like it
> is not the header for a listing.   I may not b the only dummy out there!.
> Thank you, ƒg
>

> This sounds like a conversation at cross purposes.
>
> If you want to compile your own binary from source code, download the
> source code and follow the instructions that you will find in the directory
> (folder in Mac terms, don't know which language Windows uses).
>
> If you just want to install a working application, then download and
> install the appropriate one of the precompiled ones from that list.  This
> is what I do because it is just a lot simpler.    I haven't compiled from
> source in years since somebody else volunteers to do that for use with my
> system.
>
> Linguistically the colon looks fine to me, since it indicates "use one of
> the following:"

One of the following  binaries.   Sorry, that is the way I read it.
 I understand what is meant now.   But if you do not have a clue what a
binary is then My understanding of english is the header indicates that
there are 5 binaries.    It is not my website so leave it as it is.    It
has what I am looking for now that I am clear that Lilyond one binaries for
all.   Like you, i am not interested i  the binaries.