Re: LilyPond 2.23.8 released

From: Freeman Gilmore
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.8 released
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:36:47 -0400

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 10:03 AM Carl Sorensen <carl.d.sorensen@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 7:31 AM Freeman Gilmore <freeman.gilmore@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 9:04 AM Tim's Bitstream <timmcn@bitstream.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Apr 26, 2022, at 9:32 PM, Freeman Gilmore <freeman.gilmore@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> Ok i see it now, but this was my problem.   I know that the source code
>>>  (binary) is usually the same for all but I have never worked with source
>>> code  for LilyPond so when I read this, "Documentation writers and
>>> testers will generally want to download the latest binary:" with 5
>>> binaries listed below,   *Note, the colon should be a period;* and make
>>> it look like it is not the header for a listing.   I may not b the only
>>> dummy out there!.
>>> Thank you, ƒg
>>>

>>> This sounds like a conversation at cross purposes.
>>>
>>> If you want to compile your own binary from source code, download the
>>> source code and follow the instructions that you will find in the directory
>>> (folder in Mac terms, don't know which language Windows uses).
>>>
>>> If you just want to install a working application, then download and
>>> install the appropriate one of the precompiled ones from that list.  This
>>> is what I do because it is just a lot simpler.    I haven't compiled from
>>> source in years since somebody else volunteers to do that for use with my
>>> system.
>>>
>>> Linguistically the colon looks fine to me, since it indicates "use one
>>> of the following:"
>>>
>> One of the following  binaries.   Sorry, that is the way I read it.
>>  I understand what is meant now.   But if you do not have a clue what a
>> binary is then My understanding of english is the header indicates that
>> there are 5 binaries.    It is not my website so leave it as it is.
>> It has what I am looking for now that I am clear that Lilyond one Windows
>> x86_64.   for all.   Like you, i am not interested i  the binaries.
>>

> LilyPond does *not* have one binary for all.  It has one source code for
> all.

That helps

> I think that there can be a bit of confusion here due to the fact that two
> elements in the list aren't binaries.  There are three binaries: GNU/Linux
> x86_64, macOS x86_64, and Windows x86_64.  Then there are two other
> links: Source code and instructions for building with MacPorts.  Perhaps we
> could separate the binaries from the other links.  That's what we do on the
> stable download page.

So I was wrong from the start.   I was looking for the program for
windows, Windows
x86_64,. not realising that the program I was looking for was a binary
which is compiled from the source code.
Sorry this is all stuff from the past at one time i understood, just
confused.
Thank you all for help with this, i have what i need, ƒg