Re: Should we be touching goops?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Should we be touching goops?
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 19:35:24 -0700

On 2022-06-06 6:34 pm, David Kastrup wrote:
I saw no point in letting the division of Moments deliver a Moment like
ly:moment-div does, so ly:moment-main fetches the resulting rational.
Returning a Moment would be just meaningless.  While I objected to
distinguishing time spans from time points by type, that does not mean
that I am in favor of completely insane type relations for new
functionality.

I had thought / would be a shorthand for ly:moment-div, but I can see why you opted for rational output. As I stated, documentation would be critical to avoid confusion with such implicit type conversions.

What may actually be a surprising simplification is
<https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1404/diffs?commit_id=bafd55131495ad58d8c9eb4439f60c8789bc9dc8#98b870cc087eeb4becf470fa3ec9b05b85962f2f_224_213>

That is pretty cool. I suppose if one knows (or infers) that iota uses + behind the scenes, this should probably not be *too* surprising.

-- Aaron Hill