Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 22:32:59 +1000

Nonce is a common word. I used it in an email on the user list just this week. Nonce in crypto is used in the sense 'not once', and compactification. But perhaps people today think it is an old fashioned word.

OED:

"For the particular occasion; for the time being, temporarily; for once."

I'd comment that almost any innocent word in English is used in slang somewhere and is offensive to one social group or another. No word is safe from abuse :-)

The offensive use of nonce I see in Urban Dictionary is British. Over here in Australia there is not that usage. So I guess you better avoid it in case Brits use the code!

Andrew