64-bit MacBook Air M2 problems

From: Ian West
Subject: 64-bit MacBook Air M2 problems
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 11:41:20 +0100

Dear Jean,
        I have been using Lilypond for some 10 years; first 2.12.3, then 2.18.2.
        I just bought a new MacBook Air, which uses the new 64-bit M2 chip. I
understood I could not use the 2.18.2; that the 64-bit chip required the
“unofficial” version 2.20.0. So I loaded that, and it runs all the tunes that I
tried. But it is very difficult to write new music. It is proving very hard to
work out what some of the problems are.
[1]. There is some new language to learn, new ways to do things. But the
manuals v2.22.0, and  v2.22.2 help and I am learning.
[2]  There are some baffling problems. It seems that the single apostrophe
(used to raise the pitch by one octave) on the keyboard does not work. But, if
I copy-and-paste from the manual, I can get round that problem.
[3]  The header section is absurdly sensitive. I can paste in from the manual:
\header {
  title = "SUITE I."
  composer = "J. S. Bach."
}
and it works. But my piece is by Monteverdi. I can change the title to “Take
not my treasure”, but I cannot change Bach to Monteverdi. !!!

        Yours sincerely, Ian West

P.S.
 Unofficial 64-bit application bundles for macOS 10.15 are available at
https://bintray.com/marnen/lilypond-darwin-64
<https://bintray.com/marnen/lilypond-darwin-64>.

---
Ian West
9 Thenford Road, Middleton Cheney,
BANBURY, OX17 2NB,
Tel: 01295 713 889; (Mobile: 07474 572 588)