Re: 64-bit MacBook Air M2 problems

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: 64-bit MacBook Air M2 problems
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 12:23:32 +0200

Hello,

Please keep the list in copy so everyone can participate and learn from the answers.

Le 16/08/2022 à 12:03, Ian West a écrit :
Dear Jean,
        Thank you for replying.

        I got your address from the Gitlab website, describing you as
“Factotum” . I thought that role best suited my questions.

I guess you mean the LilyPond website, the place where I'm mentioned as "factotum" is here: https://lilypond.org/authors.html

        I also thought the MacBook was doing me “the favour” of using the wrong
apostrophe, which is why I copied and pasted. But I am not using an Apple text
editor; I type straight into Lilypond. Apple keyboard certainly. I can look up ASCII
codes I am sure; I did it 30 years ago in the early days. Anyway, thanks for tips
like -> ‘<-, and where to change straight to smart quotes.

What's important to understand is that job the core program
“LilyPond” is only to convert an input file to an output file.
For macOS, we used to ship a minimalistic application with
a very simplistic text editor. I assume this is what you are
using. I *strongly* recommend to use something else. Try
Frescobaldi, really. I was reluctant to try it during the first two
years I used LilyPond. When I did try it, it was a relief and I
blamed myself for not doing that earlier.

Again, the tutorial I linked in my previous email has complete
instructions on how to set up LilyPond 2.23 with Frescobaldi
on macOS 64-bit.

Normally, Frescobaldi won't have problems with curly apostrophes
(at least I don't recall anyone had that problem with Frescobaldi).

Best,
Jean