Re: Stale branches in Savannah repository

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Stale branches in Savannah repository
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 10:41:04 +0200

Le 01/09/2022 à 20:54, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development a écrit :
Hi all,

it's been 2 years now that development has moved to GitLab. In the very
beginning, we agreed to keep existing branches on Savannah, but I'd
like to revisit that decision and propose that we make it a mirror of
only the master and stable/* branches, just as GitHub is. The migrated
branches continue to be available on GitLab.

However, I'd like to also propose to delete some of these branches
(both on Savannah *and* GitLab) that don't serve a purpose anymore:
  - dev/knupero/lilypy3devel: We've long switched to Python 3.
  - dev/janneke/wip-guile2: We've also switched to Guile 2.2, and all
commits in the branch have been implemented in one way or another.
  - dev/janek/experimental-fix-for-issue-2462: Issue #2462 has been 8
years ago, with an evolved version of the branch's commit AFAICT.
  - dev/janek/cg-cleanup: This is material from 2013 and the CG sections
about git have been rewritten in the process of moving to GitLab and
more recently by Jean.
  - dev/frax/colorful-make: This is also from 2013, for context see
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-08/msg00138.html
I didn't read through all of it, but it seems there have been concerns
over how maintainable it is (which I share), and Dan has done great
work some time ago to reduce the output during the build. Anyway, this
touches files in stepmake/, which we recently got rid of, and therefore
doesn't apply anymore.

Thoughts?

There are other branches (both from Savannah, as well as on GitLab)
without an associated (open) merge request. If some of yours can be
deleted, please do so; if there are some by others that aren't useful
anymore, maybe share them here so others can comment.

I believe these not to be useful anymore as well:

dev/dak/badregex

  (fix was later done differently by Jonas)

dev/hanwen/cairo-marku

  (doesn't contain anything not in master)

dev/hanwen/safe-eval

  (it was about fixing -dsafe, now removed)

dev/wl/extender-line
dev/wl/non-srcdir-autogen
dev/wl/programming-work
dev/wl/tweak-tag

  (merge requests were abandoned, and AFAIR the diff remains available
  on each MR even with the branch deleted)

stable/*

  Should these be converted to tags now?

That said, I'm not overly bothered by the presence of these stable
branches either, especially those under dev/, which is a sort of
"private area".

Jean