Re: Stale branches in Savannah repository

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Stale branches in Savannah repository
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 00:38:24 +0200

Le 03/09/2022 à 17:35, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
On Sat, 2022-09-03 at 10:41 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
stable/*

    Should these be converted to tags now?
I think most open-source projects keep their release / stable branches
around, even for "outdated" versions. Additionally we'd have to create
tags *now* for changes that happened years ago. I wouldn't particularly
like doing that...

That said, I'm not overly bothered by the presence of these stable
branches either, especially those under dev/, which is a sort of
"private area".
Maybe; on the other hand, some of the branches I mentioned in my
original email give the impression that the transitions to Python 3 and
Guile 2 are still being worked on. Moreover, I firmly believe that we
should try to not "forget" mergeable work in branches, and we waste
time in every pass over branches that were deemed not important anymore
now / in the past.

Good point. There seems to have been no objection to removing
these branches, so I went ahead and removed these:

  dev/frax/colorful-make
  dev/hanwen/safe-eval
  dev/janek/cg-cleanup
  dev/janek/experimental-fix-for-issue-2462
  dev/janneke/wip-guile2
  dev/knupero/lilypy3devel
  dev/wl/non-srcdir-autogen
  dev/wl/programming-work
  dev/wl/tweak-tag

As a reminder, Git won't remove the remote branches from anybody's
local repository before that person runs git pull/fetch -p/--prune,
and for the branch authors, who had a corresponding local branche,
that branch remains available until 'git branch -D <branch-name>',
so if you want your branch back it can still be done. (I have also
made backups of these branches myself in my local repository, just in
case.)

Regards,
Jean