Re: Stale branches in Savannah repository

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Stale branches in Savannah repository
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 17:35:31 +0200

On Sat, 2022-09-03 at 10:41 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> stable/*
>
>    Should these be converted to tags now?

I think most open-source projects keep their release / stable branches
around, even for "outdated" versions. Additionally we'd have to create
tags *now* for changes that happened years ago. I wouldn't particularly
like doing that...

> That said, I'm not overly bothered by the presence of these stable
> branches either, especially those under dev/, which is a sort of
> "private area".

Maybe; on the other hand, some of the branches I mentioned in my
original email give the impression that the transitions to Python 3 and
Guile 2 are still being worked on. Moreover, I firmly believe that we
should try to not "forget" mergeable work in branches, and we waste
time in every pass over branches that were deemed not important anymore
now / in the past.

Jonas