Re: Moving most initialization to .scm files

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Moving most initialization to .scm files
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 21:22:09 +0200

Am Mo., 5. Sept. 2022 um 19:50 Uhr schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via
Discussions on LilyPond development <lilypond-devel@gnu.org>:

> On Sun, 2022-09-04 at 22:38 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> > This needs to be done for lots of code in lots of files, so it will be
> > quite a major change to the source even though it is just a straightforward
> > translation.
>
> I don't like this idea very much just two weeks before branching for a
> new stable release. No matter how "straightforward", I find the risk
> too high that something goes wrong, or that it turns out not to be a
> good idea for some other reason, or that we still find it insufficient
> and an entirely different solution is required...
>
> For me, this also means we should go without !1510 for the release.
> It's unfortunate, but not the end of the world; and I personally think
> it's worse to delay the entire release by weeks / months or even an
> undetermined amount of time.
>
> Jonas

I think a stable release without meaningful error-messages as promised
by !1510 is unusable for power-users.
While working on zither-ly[*], I was tempted to trash a few weeks of
coding work, because of shitty error messages, making it unpossible to
proceed...
Unless Jean pointed me to the possibility to port all (critical)
scheme-codings in ly-files to scm-files and use GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=1
I would not have reached the current state without it.

I'm not sure it's the best way but currently it looks like the only one.

Cheers,
  Harm

[*] If someone is interested:
https://gitlab.com/Thomas_Morley/zither-ly/-/tree/development/