Re: Moving most initialization to .scm files

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Moving most initialization to .scm files
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 21:34:28 +0200

On Mon, 2022-09-05 at 21:22 +0200, Thomas Morley wrote:
> Am Mo., 5. Sept. 2022 um 19:50 Uhr schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via
> Discussions on LilyPond development <lilypond-devel@gnu.org>:
> >
> > On Sun, 2022-09-04 at 22:38 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> > > This needs to be done for lots of code in lots of files, so it will be
> > > quite a major change to the source even though it is just a
> > > straightforward
> > > translation.
> >
> > I don't like this idea very much just two weeks before branching for a
> > new stable release. No matter how "straightforward", I find the risk
> > too high that something goes wrong, or that it turns out not to be a
> > good idea for some other reason, or that we still find it insufficient
> > and an entirely different solution is required...
> >
> > For me, this also means we should go without !1510 for the release.
> > It's unfortunate, but not the end of the world; and I personally think
> > it's worse to delay the entire release by weeks / months or even an
> > undetermined amount of time.
> >
> > Jonas
>
> I think a stable release without meaningful error-messages as promised
> by !1510 is unusable for power-users.

So we've had this discussion before: If I follow the logic, we must not
have a stable release until the error messages are equally good /
better than they have been before. This problem has been known for two
years, with very little activity before Jean started working on it in
May (?). What I want to avoid is blocking the release for two more
years. (probably / hopefully exaggerating, but it *will* change the
schedule)

Jonas