texi2any upgrade: Is there a regtest showing the results needed?

From: Karlin High
Subject: texi2any upgrade: Is there a regtest showing the results needed?
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 08:54:15 -0500

On 10/25/2022 4:00 PM, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> I think it may be better to rewrite the needed customizations more or
> less from scratch. From a few preliminary tests some time ago, many
> things will work very differently with texi2any; some customizations
> won't be necessary anymore (because there are options to get the same
> effect) and some new ones will be needed.
>
> From <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2022-10/msg00194.html>

With the start-afresh approach for lilypond-texi2html.init, it seems to me the first thing that would be needed is a regtest or Minimal Working Example of sorts: A concise texinfo file calling for each feature or function needing equivalent replication in the upgrade.

Once the targeted version of texi2any is producing acceptable results from that file, then move on to testing on the full documentation.

I read the Contributors Guide, Chapter 9, Regression Tests, and did not see any references to something like this. Does anyone know if such a thing already exists?

If not, does it seem like anything worth pursuing?

Personally, I could see it aiding future upgrade efforts. And for my involvement in such efforts currently, I would almost need to do it regardless to fill in the gaps in my understanding of the codebase, Texinfo old and new, and what feature requests if any need sent upstream.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA