Re: strut problem

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: strut problem
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 11:39:15 +0100

Le 18/11/2022 à 05:46, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
You are correct with your LaTeX observation.  However, the longer I
think about struts – even `\vspace` is nothing else than a vertical
strut! – the more I believe that there is a conceptual problem in
LilyPond: There is a 'typesetting mode' where vertical struts have an
effect (like the problem originally reported in 'lilypond-user',
starting with
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2022-11/msg00237.html),
and there are other modes without such an effect.

What about making LilyPond properly integrate (finite) struts into the
skyline?

I'm not understanding what you mean by this precisely. Are you talking
about a change to the definition of \strut or a change to how skylines
are computed?

Regarding the latter, the handling looks inconsistent. I've opened
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6472 about that.

I see two advantages.

* It removes the above-described modality, which seems unnecessary to
   me.  If it is really necessary, it lacks an explanation in the NR.

* It would allow fine-tuning of the skyline in a simpler way than what
   currently is possible.  Imagine, for example, that you need some
   empty space above letter 'V' of the string 'VAVA':

   ```

      ++---+
      |VAVA|
   ```

   The 'correct' solution would be to put letter 'V' into a
   `\with-dimension` box or something similar [please correct me if
   there is something better].  However, doing so might produce a
   different output if, say, there is kerning: Pango now sees 'V' and
   'AVA', and the kerning between the first 'V' and 'A' is lost, AFAIU.

   The alternative would be to insert a vertical strut right before
   letter 'V'.

Note that, say, a vertical strut between "V" and "A" would
also defeat kerning.

Have you already found yourself needing to fine-tune skylines?
I have always gotten along by tweaking padding and padding-like
properties.

By the way, can you check what your mail client is doing with
email subjects? Your email's is

"strut problem,Re: strut problem,Re: strut problem,Re: strut problem"

Jean