Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 17:48:01 +0100

Le 02/01/2023 à 17:25, Amir Czwink a écrit :
But come on, you don't need to be experts to discover code duplication.
Even if you're not familiar with Arabic music, the same blocks of code
in a single file from a single contribution can possibly be spotted and
it should be in your best interest to have as few copy-pasted code as
possible. I mean the first contribution to hel-arabic.ly even redefined
the "major" and "minor" key-signatures (and copies of that too) with
exactly these names to the exact definition they already have.
Ok, but as far as I understood it, people simply don't look at the
content of contributions about music styles they are not familiar with.
Well then, here I am to do it.

The distinction between "you" and "I" is artificial. Who are
"you" and "people"? Why would "you" not include you? What about
volunteering to review contributions to Gregorian music support?
This is not ironic.

But I wonder, how the process will work then? Every one simply commits
what he thinks is best and we regularly overwrite each others
contributions? That can't be in the best interest of nobody...

No. Just look at open merge requests.

But in a volunteer project, nobody is entitled to anything,
so there is no absolute promise that every contribution will
be reviewed.

The only thing you can do is promising that _you_ will review
things.

Jean