Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 15:00:58 +0100

Le 04/01/2023 à 14:29, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
On Wed, 2023-01-04 at 13:39 +0100, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Le 04/01/2023 à 12:52, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
PNG images will always be clunky for embedding line art, so it can't
be the recommended solution. What makes most sense for users? Other
illustration programs also can't process EPS (for the same reasons we
don't), so how do those programs embed line art? What is the preferred
format for logos today? SVG? AI? PDF?
PNG?
... and PDF, if the logo is created by a paid designer (probably
exported from Adobe Illustrator) and it's "important" for print, for
example large posters. At least looking at my previous university and
my current employer (actually both also provide(d) EPS!).

I was initially scared by Poppler's dependencies, but now that I look at its CMakeLists.txt file, it seems that most of them are optional, which makes it more palatable. I'm still not sure what you lose if you don't compile with GTK, though, and I can't say I really understand this stuff well anyway.