Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready, Re: Missing items to make Cairo r

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready, Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 17:12:00 +0100

Le 04/01/2023 à 16:13, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
The idea is that you compile all snippets with references to fonts
only but not with actual fonts.  This allows Ghostscript to analyze
and squeeze the fonts of all included PDFs globally; as an example,
the NR then has only a few dozen (subsetted) fonts instead of about
4500.

OK, this sounds like it will be tough to do in the Cairo backend. Given
that the size still looks acceptable (I mean, with browser caching,
you don't actually download doc PDFs often, and it's still more than
twice smaller than before extractpfmark was introduced in 2016),
I think we can just let these options go, and possibly remove extractpdfmark
from our doc build eventually if the size gains are no longer worth it.