Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 23:23:48 +0100

Le 07/01/2023 à 23:04, Luca Fascione a écrit :
On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 10:06 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

    the advantage of dropping \epsfile
    and \postscript isn't big either, as their Cairo implementation is not
    complicated and can largely share code with the implementation of
    other image formats

Hang on. I don't think this is correct: I had understood that on the postscript backend the postscript in the arguments to the two commands above goes verbatim into the output file, doesn't it?

More or less, yes, but how does this relate to or contradict
what I wrote above in any way?

All I said in the quote is that it does not take a lot of code in
LilyPond to support embedding EPS files into PS/EPS output in the
Cairo backend.

In particular this means the PDF contains vector images when the input is things like paths and such stuff, or scalable fonts, possibly together with their definitions when that's the case with the input. Comparing this to Cairo where an external renderer is invoked to turn them into raster images and
then embeds those into a PDF, which would make it all non-scalable.

Current LilyPond is

LilyPond      ->   PS    ->   PDF
        PS backend   Ghostscript

The new route to go from Cairo to PDF if you really need
EPS is

LilyPond  ->  Cairo    ->  PS   -> PDF
      Cairo backend   Cairo    Ghostscript

The PS -> PDF step is done in the same way in both cases.
I don't know why you think there is any raster rendering.