Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready,Re: Missing items to make Cairo re

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready,Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready,Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready,Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 21:22:39 +0000 (UTC)

>> The idea is that you compile all snippets with references to fonts
>> only but not with actual fonts.  This allows Ghostscript to analyze
>> and squeeze the fonts of all included PDFs globally; as an example,
>> the NR then has only a few dozen (subsetted) fonts instead of about
>> 4500.
>
> OK, this sounds like it will be tough to do in the Cairo
> backend.

Actually, it would be *great* if such a feature could be incorporated
into Cairo itself.  I guess LilyPond is not the only application of
this library that would love to include other PDFs, creating
small-sized output files.

> Given that the size still looks acceptable (I mean, with browser
> caching, you don't actually download doc PDFs often, and it's still
> more than twice smaller than before extractpfmark was introduced in
> 2016), I think we can just let these options go, and possibly remove
> extractpdfmark from our doc build eventually if the size gains are
> no longer worth it.

Honestly, a fourfold size increase is not something that I would call
'acceptable'.

    Werner