Re: Explicit default duration?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Explicit default duration?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 15:55:27 -0800

On 2023-01-23 3:35 pm, David Kastrup wrote:
p would require that there actually is a next pitch (or drum type,
assuming that p gets specialcased like r and R).

I feel like I am missing context from the original query. '0' seems to only be necessary if there is another event following as well.

Also it begs the question what to do about c2 <e p> ...

Yeah, does the 'p' pick up the most recently input 'e' or is it shorthand for the 'c' that occurred before? Perhaps it just is forbidden in chords, like 'q' is.

Granted, I have wondered if 'q' could be accepted like a chord extension syntax:

If that could be made to be consistent, perhaps 'p' would then need a good meaning.

With '0' as a pseudo duration, there is less to mess about with regarding pitches and special-casing naming.

----

Out of curiosity, would this work in your proposed syntax?

"tamb4 r0 0 8 8" for "tamb4 r4 r4 tamb8 tamb8"

-- Aaron Hill