Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 11:04:28 +0100

FWIW, my perspective on this is more that we should take it as an act of
periodic maintenance that
all forms of little, mindless busywork should be eliminated from the
group's rituals and routines.
If it's not necessary, don't do it, and to quote Sutter: don't sweat the
small stuff.
The problem being that this stuff accumulates over time and weighs
everything down,
it creates cobwebs that eventually have a risk of becoming too annoying to
eliminate,
in a vicious loop.

I have proposed before to move to a system based on SPDX before for the
same reason,
it reduces busywork that brings no advantage.
And as it's been suggested before in the thread, the bulk advantage of
accurate/updated copyright years
is likely to be somewhere between small and modest, to be generous.

Like Han-Wen, my own perspective was also informed by many discussions had
at various employers and with various other houses and bodies investing big
money in software in a variety of ways.
Disclaimer: Whatever I say here shall not be taken as
me representing the opinions, views or will of any of them and
I am not a lawyer

Luca Fascione