Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years

From: Wol
Subject: Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:33:28 +0000

On 14/02/2023 10:27, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I have proposed before to move to a system based on SPDX before for
the same reason, it reduces busywork that brings no advantage.  And
as it's been suggested before in the thread, the bulk advantage of
accurate/updated copyright years is likely to be somewhere between
small and modest, to be generous.

Please bear in mind that LilyPond is a GNU project.  I'm tracking a
few other GNU projects (autoconf, automake, bison, coreutils, emacs,
gettext, gnulib, m4, mc), and they update copyright notices, too.

Did GNU not used to insist on copyright assignment? If they own the copyright they are free to change the dates. If they don't ...

Like Han-Wen, my own perspective was also informed by many
discussions had at various employers and with various other houses
and bodies investing big money in software in a variety of ways.

IMHO, it's simple: Just follow the GNU guidelines.

IMHO it's even simpler - is it fraud? (I don't know the answer, but it feels like it, and we shouldn't do it without legal advice).

Cheers,
Wol