Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 15:13:07 +0000

On 15/02/2023 06:23, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

IMHO it's even simpler - is it fraud? (I don't know the answer, but
it feels like it, and we shouldn't do it without legal advice).

The GPL is used for licensing works _as_ _a_ _whole_, so it is
definitely not fraud to update the license headers in lockstep.
[...]

Well said, thank you!

Sorry, can I re-write that?

An individual source file is an individual work. What happens if I decide to add a file under a BSD licence? The copyright ON THAT FILE is not GNU, it is not GPL, let's assume no-one has modified it. If that file is 100% my BSD-licenced copyright, you changing the copyright notice (even if it's just the date!) is fraudulent misrepresentation.

You yourself said "The GPL is used for licensing works _as_ _a_ _whole_", that "whole", legally BEING THE BINARY. Otherwise the GPL truly would be viral, as detractors like to claim, seizing ownership of works that their creators explicitly did NOT place under the GPL.

Look at it another way. If I stick a bunch of, let's say, CDDL files (didn't Oracle write CDDL with the express intention of NOT being GPL compatible? Sorry if I've got the wrong licence) in, I can freely mix that INCOMPATIBLE code with a GPL project AND DISTRIBUTE AS SOURCE. It's only when I build a binary, that the "as a whole" kicks in and the project becomes non-distributable.

Or another way. The GPL does not (no free licence does) give you the permission to alter someone else's licence. That includes altering the copyright notice.

(And lastly, when you said that "GNU only requires copyright assignment for EMACS" and something else, I'm very sorry but you clearly did not read what I wrote. You used present tense, I used past tense. If GNU used to require assignment, then a policy of updating the notices every year makes sense. But if they DON'T require copyright assignment, and they DON'T own the copyright, then changing the copyright notice smacks of fraud. Simple as. BUT DOES ANYBODY REALLY CARE? Only the armchair lawyers, I guess :-)

Cheers,
Wol