Lilypond website

From: Chip Zoller
Subject: Lilypond website
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 06:17:49 -0800 (PST)

I just ran across your software and decided to try it
out.  I like what people say and have been curious as
to music engraving for Linux.  One thing struck me as
being unfair, however: your approach and criticism of
Finale.  I am a theorist and composer and I use Finale
exclusively to engrave my work and your criticism of
it is unfair when pitted against Lilypond.  The
problem with criticisms such as this one don't take
into consideration that everything with Finale and
more is fully customizeable.  Furthermore, I have
NEVER experieced results like the piece you posted
with default settings.  Finale is quite capapble of
producing professional results even MORE complicated
than lilypond.  I also saw the example of the
"complicated" engraving example lilypond was able to
do.  I hope that wasn't serious.  I suggest one of
Ravel's piano pieces such as Jeux D'eau or his Pavane
as a more accurate description of "complicated"
engraving.  Finale is used by some of the world's
largest publication houses (even Barenreiter) and I
don't think they would all be using it if a better
approach to engraving existed.  Like I said, I am a
fan of open source software and Linux, but I can
assure you that no professional engraver will use
something that has to be engraved through a command
line!  I am looking forward to great advancement in
this program and will follow it closely.

Chip Zoller