Re: "Extra" verses

From: Christ van Willegen
Subject: Re: "Extra" verses
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:03:44 +0100

Hi Mats, list,

Mats wrote:
> However, from my experience as a choir singer, would definitely
> recommend you to typeset all the verses directly in the score.
> Unless it's a trivial tune that you can learn i 2 minutes, you
> have to jump back and forth between the music and the lyrics if
> it's typeset below the score.

That's true, and I suggest you follow this design.

However, in most church music, normally only one verse is typeset
in the score, and the other verses are typeset below the first verse.

If the page needs to be turned, usually the first verse on the new
set of pages will be typeset with a score, again.

I usually solve this (jumping between music and words) by having
my thumb 'near' the current line, and quickly glancing to the music
while singing. Ofcourse, since church music is usually 'easy' enough
to learn in 2 minutes (or less), this is ... workable. But definately not
optimal!

Regards,

Christ van Willegen