Ties in second endings

From: Peter Mogensen
Subject: Ties in second endings
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:16:56 +0200

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

>>> The standard trick is to add a tie from an invisible note. You can
>>> find several examples in the mailing list archives.
>>
>> I did that.
>> But this is also one of the examples where the "hack" doesn't play well
>> with the entire score. This invisible note takes up space, which ruins
>> the alignment with notes in other staffs where there's no tie.
>

> I just realized that one possibility to solve this is to make the
> invisible note a grace note. In that way, it won't destroy the
> rhythm. Example:
>
> \version "2.6.0"
> \score{
> \new Voice \relative c' {
>   \repeat volta 2 {c d2 e4 | f g a2 ~ }
>   \alternative{{a4 g2 f4 | e2 d }{ \grace{\hideNotes a'4~} \unHideNotes
> a g e d\ | c1 }}
> }
> }

Unfortunately this seems to give the same problem as when the music
starts with a grace note (causing the time sign to be duplicated).
Only now it's the second volta-spanner which is duplicated.
So... two hacks would be required.

Oh... Apropos co-sponsoring.
I would like to co-sponsor the second ending tie bug being resolved.

Peter