RE: Ties in second endings

From: Fairchild
Subject: RE: Ties in second endings
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:05:56 -0500

Graham -

Here's a trim-down of the thread, for sticking in the manual, in the section on ties, or repeats, or both.  Edit to suit.

There ought to be a better way that makes the tie more pronounced, but a simple way eludes me.

                      - Bruce

================================

Ties are not normally continued into second endings, but a standard trick is to add a tie from an invisible note.  One way is to make the invisible note a grace note.  In that way, it doesn't destroy the rhythm.

\version "2.4.6"
\layout{ raggedright = ##t }
\score{
\relative c' {
\repeat volta 2 { f g a2 ~ }
\alternative {
{ a4 g2 f4 }
{ \grace{ \hideNotes a4~ } \unHideNotes a g2. }
}}}