Re: white text on black background

From: Marius Amado Alves
Subject: Re: white text on black background
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:49:36 +0000

On 11 Feb 2006, at 12:33, I myself wrote:

Is there a way to typeset white text on a black background?

This is to make scores for a children's instrument that has chord keys white for Major, black for minor. \box serves fine for the former.

While waiting for a knowledgeable reply on this list, which never came, I managed to find a solution. The snippet below represents a white A over a black square (signifying the key for the chord of A minor on the aforementioned children's instrument, a Bontempi electric organ). It took a fair amount of experimenting to get it right, principally given the utterly sparse documentation about \filled-box and \with-color notably regarding the form and semantics of their arguments. And, beware, this markup does not seem to fit well in some deeply nested contexts e.g. as a component of the argument of \center-align (I suspect it must be cast into a stencil in which case I'm hoping not having to go there alone in the near future...)

\markup{\combine \filled-box #'(-.3 . 1.8) #'(-.3 . 1.8) #0 \with-color #white A}