Re: Usability Question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Usability Question
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:17:41 +0100

You have received a large number of answers already, but
I'm not sure how many of your original questions have really
been answered. First of all, here's an alternative version of
your code that hopefully is somewhat closer to what you want.

#(set-global-staff-size 17)
%     \version "2.10.7"
    \include"deutsch.ly"

\paper {
 #(set-paper-size "a4")
}

\header {
title = \markup \center-align \italic { "Sonata 1ma a Violino Solo senza
Basso di J. S. Bach"}
}

myVoiceOne = {\voiceOne \tieDown}
myVoiceTwo = {\voiceTwo \tieUp}
myVoiceThree = {\voiceThree \tieDown}
myVoiceFive = { #(context-spec-music (make-voice-props-set 4) 'Voice) \tieDown }

melody = \relative c' {
 \clef treble
 \key g \minor
 \time 4/4
 <<
   \new Voice {
     \voiceOne
     g''4 ~  g32[ f( es d c b a b64 )g] \myVoiceThree
     g8[ fis~] fis32[ e( d e fis g a c64 )b] |
     c8[~ c32 d64( c b32 c] c16.\trill b64 c d16 )a
   }
   \new Voice {
     \myVoiceThree
     b4 s \myVoiceOne c s | fis s
   }
   \new Voice {\myVoiceFive d,}
   \new Voice {\myVoiceTwo g,4 s a s | d8 s s4 }

}

\score {
       \new Staff \melody
       \layout { }
}

What I did here was
- To keep each voice together over a longer section, not split
 them up into half beats (this is a matter of taste, but may
 save some typing, especially if you want the same tweak to
 apply to a longer section).
- Explicitly instantiate voices instead of using the << ... \\ ... >>
 feature.
- Correspondingly, I explicitly specify \voiceOne ...
- Since most of your comments related to the fact that the
 ties have the same direction as the stems when you use the
 default \voiceOne, ... \voiceFour macros, I defined alternative
 versions called \myVoiceOne ... \myVoiceFive, that set the
 ties in the opposite direction.

Keep asking and keep reading the manual.

  /Mats

Upro wrote:

Hello!

I have been using Lilypond some years ago, without needs for too good
formattzig, but now I decided to try to make an edition for a major
publisher with lilypond.

However, I have found that there are several issues that I find too time
consuming and complicated to rate lilypond as "professionally usable".

But being an optimist I decided to post some general questions to see what
others think and know.

My example score is some bars for violin by Bach. Let's go!

1. The score has four voises. All have their own stems. I find it extremely
complicated to arrange stems/notes in the same order (right to left), and
stems in the correct direction. All solutions I have found in the forum are either rather laborious, or
involve programming. I do not have the intention nor the tie to learn scheme
or improve/recover my knowledge of Python to follow this path.

2. I have not found an easy way to change the placement of ties (over or
below the notes)

3. I have also not found a neatly usable command to try to make a score into
one page, or to force a system/line brake.

4. I have not found a way to make a tie from within a polyphonic passage
into a neiboring honophone section. I used a workaraond by keeping the
adjacent passage within the polyphonic sectin, but I would like to find a
way to avoid that.

I include the cntents of my ilypond file, and a jpg of what I would liem to
see.

I would really appreciate concise and useful help. This is for maybe the
most reknowned publisher and could also be a landmark for lilypond - if I
can achioeve my goal with lilypond (and not Sibelius...).

Here are my comments on the file/score:
a) First chord: I would liem to have the same stem direction/order in my
file as in the image (up-up-up-down from top to bottom)
b) Why do the stems in bar 1, second quarter, point upwards AND the tie is
on top?
c) Bar 1, 4th quarter: Again: Why is the tie on top and not on bottom?
d) 2nd bar, first quarter: As in a) I would like to change the order of the
notes.
e) 2nd bar, first quarter: Two tied eight notes c: Why is the tie not closer
to the noteheads?
f) 2nd bar, second tie: Again, it should be on top.

If I have to continue like this for the rest of this opus magnum I' kill
myself ;-)

TIA, upro

#(set-global-staff-size 17)
%     \version "2.10.7"
    \include"deutsch.ly"

\paper {
 #(set-paper-size "a4")
}
\header {
        title = \markup \center-align  \italic { "Sonata 1ma a Violino Solo
senza
Basso di J. S. Bach"}
}

    melody = \relative c' {
       \clef treble

       \key g \minor

       \time 4/4

                << { g''4 ~  g32[ f( es d c b a b64 )g] }\\{  b4}\\{d,}\\{
g,}\\>>

                <<  { c'4} \\ \\ { g8[ fis~] fis32[ e( d e fis g a c64 )b]} \\ { a,4
} >>

<< {fis''4} \\ {c8[( c32) d64( c b32 c] c16.\trill b64 c d16 )a} \\ {d,8}

}

\score {
       \new Staff \melody
       \layout { }