Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:37:17 -0600

On 2/7/07, Kress, Stephen <address@hidden> wrote:

I think Han-Wen said it himself (though he didn't realize it).

 I like the idea if \paper being as you described (with just the six
properties).

Me too. I think that greatly clears up what belongs in the \paper
block -- just stuff that has to do with the physical dimensions and
printable area of actual paper.

 Put all the other stuff (the outside-the-score layout stuff) in a new block
called \page-layout

 Maybe, if folks get too confused between \page-layout and \layout, the
\layout block can be moved inside the \score block since that's what it
applies to the most.  It might also be that a \layout block that is outside
a \score block (for the purposes of a "global" style) could be renamed to
\score-layout.

So what do think about dividing the outside-of-score stuff into two
categories? Because it seems like maybe these two lists of settings do
different things:

list 1:
 ragged-bottom
 ragged-last-bottom
 system-count
 between-system-space
 between-system-padding
 horizontal-shift
 blank-page-force
 blank-last-page-force
 page-spacing-weight

list 2:
 first-page-number
 print-first-page-number
 print-page-number
 auto-first-page-number
 head-separation
 foot-separation
 print-all-headers (iso printallheaders)
 after-title-space
 before-title-space
 between-title-space

Right now both list 1 and list 2 will just be put together into the
outside-of-score (\paper) bucket.

But it seems that may list 1 is really concerned with the *the layout
of music on the page* whereas list 2 is concerned with *adding headers
and footers outside the music*.

So does it make sense to divide list 1 and list 2? And if so, with what names?

 Just some q&d thoughts...

 Stephen