Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:17:35 -0800

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:45:26 -0600, Trevor Bača wrote:
> And now I see why Han-Wen keeps inviting a name change of the \paper
> and \layout buckets (while implicitly discouraging the moving around
> of settings between those two buckets): the buckets show the *scope*
> of the different settings, which isn't really an attribute that can be
> easily changed.
>
> OK. I get it. Now I see why the task is a renaming task rather than a
> moving-around task.
>
> Hm ... more thinking ...

The way this is typed in an input file has to make sense to the user. The user
should not be required to think like a computer. It has taken you, an obvious
expert, months and months to get his head around this. I never got it at all
until you explained it.

The correct answer is (I believe) exactly as you proposed earlier. Talking
about Lilypond's internal logic is IMHO counterproductive. In fact, internally,
I suspect Lilypond should stay the same - it just needs to allow the user to
use it effectively by making (or even just *allowing*) the logical separation
between paper, headers, and music, which you already outlined.

David