Re: markup dynamics wrong size

From: Eric Flesher
Subject: Re: markup dynamics wrong size
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:48:34 +0000 (UTC)

Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> ee.kth.se> writes:

> The best solution for you is probably to use #(make-dynamic-script ... )
> to define all your dynamic commands, see subsection "New dynamics".
> Then, they will behave exactly as all the other dynamics.
> I haven't investigated how much tweaks would be involved to make
> ordinary \markup commands work better in the centered dynamics context,
> but you will certainly always suffer from the same lack of vertical
> alignment that I just pointed out in an email with subject line "Re:
> GDP: NR 1.3 Expressive marks, second draft" on the mailing list. There,
> you can also find hints on how to use #(make-dynamic-script ) without
> having to learn Scheme syntax for markup commands.
>
>     /Mats

Thanks - this works very well. However, I have had another issue arise from
implementing this technique:

Longer dynamic strings (e.g. "p delicato", "crescendo", etc.) that are engraved
as dynamic scripts in this fashion end up getting centered, as a text string,
horizontally under the notehead. This necessitates offsetting them somehow; my
immediate workaround is to apply
\once \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( x . y )
to shift the dynamic string to the appropriate position.

With this in mind, however, is there a means of doing the following:

a) Defining a dynamic text string that will left-align to the notehead? This is
generally what is desired for markings such as "cresc." "dim.", plus other
expressive markings ("dolce", etc.) that stand alone, i.e. without a dynamic
marking such as "p", "f", etc.

b) Defining a dynamic text string that centers the dynamic mark ("p", "f", etc.)
under the notehead as per usual, while allowing any modifiers in the string
(e.g. "dim.", "dolce", etc.) to follow to the right?

I know that this latter, in particular, is a rather sophisticated request, but
it would be worth being able to automate such issues that are likely to occur
frequently.

Regards,
EF