Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:08:56 -0400

Hi Carl (et al.):

The effect of \textLengthOn is to make the first musical moment
take as much horizontal space as the markup.

Okay, this brings up a question I've had for a while…

In multi-instrument scores, I would like to avoid collisions in my markups (especially metronome markings) — see snippet, below. What I'd like to do is have Lilypond automatically stretch measures (if necessary) to avoid such collisions, like I've done (manually) in the second \score block.

Does anyone know a way of doing that? The problem with \textLengthOn (or equivalent things) is that the *first* measure (moment) *ONLY* is stretched, which results in ugly scores (parts).

Thanks,
Kieren.

\version "2.11.55"

\layout